28 September, 2010

Qfwfq's Characteristics.

In Italo Calvino’s stories The Aquatic Uncle and The Dinosaurs, the most defining characteristic of the narrator, Qfwfq, is often embarrassed of himself and his family, and doesn't want to face the truth.



To begin,Qfwfq is embarrassed by his great uncle, N'ba N'ga. Qfwfq wants to bring his fiancée, Lll to meet N'ba N'ga, but is embarrassed by the fact that N’ba N’ga is a fish, and Lll and her family are land creatures, which is totally different from his family member.“.. To introduce my fiancée. But every time an opportunity occurred, I postponed it,  out of embarrassment; knowing the prejudices among which she had been brought up, I hadn't yet dared tell Lll that my great- uncle was a fish.” (75) This portrays that Qfwfq is someone that is embarrassed because of his family, because he doesn't know if his fiancée can accept the differences among them or not. He is afraid that this difference can tear them apart. He even said that he postponed the family meeting many times, because of the fact that his great uncle is a fish.
Additionally, Qfwfq rather move on instead of facing the truth. Qfwfq is embarrassed by the fact that his fiancée fell in love with his great uncle so instead of facing the reality he left and went on his way. Qfwfq brought Lll to introduce to N’ba N’ga, but as a result, Lll fell in in love with his great uncle, and left  Qfwfq. Qfwfq is embarrassed by the fact that Lll would rather go with N’ba N’ga instead of staying with Qfwfq. Qfwfq didn't try to get her back though. Instead he moved onto his life.“ It was a hard blow for me. But, after all what could i do about it? I went on my way, in the midst of the world’s transformations being transformed by myself" ( 81 )This demonstrates that Qfwfq is someone that gives up easily, because he said it was hard to accept the fact Lll picked his great uncle over him. Qfwfq didn't even try to think of what he can do about it,and how he can get Lll back, instead he moved on.
Lastly, Qfwfq is afraid of how people view him. Qfwfq is ashamed and embarrassed of himself, because he is different from the others. When he came back into the world of other creatures, he encounters a species which is different from his, he doesn't know how they will react to him.“ Now she will realize who i am, I'm thinking now she will take a better look at me and recognize me. And as one does, when one doesn't want to be observed, I kept my eyes lowered and coiled my tail, as if to hide it.” ( 99 ) This shows  that Qfwfq is someone that has low self esteem, he is afraid of what others will say about him. He isn't proud of who he is. He even shows this with his tail- curling, body language.

No comments:

Post a Comment